St. Joseph’s School provides primary education for children from the communities in and around Orbost, drawing pupils from all outlying areas.
Our school was founded by the Sisters of St Joseph in 1923 and has developed a strong tradition in the local community guided by the Gospel values of peace, justice, love and hope. We are a school for the whole community, warmly inviting enrolments from all families, including those with other faith traditions.
The multi-age grouping of children provides for valuable social education and enables children to recognise their own responsibility in developing an atmosphere informed by the gospel values of Jesus Christ. The school gardens create a safe, stimulating outdoor area where the students can appreciate and enjoy outdoor learning and recreation.
Having modern facilities and technologically well-resourced, St. Joseph’s has the tools to assist in creating innovative teaching. Music, Art and Physical Education are taught as specialist subjects, our LOTE language is Mandarin and we currently have an instrumental music program.
The small number of staff and students creates a close knit school community, where staff, students and parents work together to create an excellent educational experience and an effective pastoral care system. We provide an educational environment that enables every child to reach their full potential in a rapidly changing world. In this way the religious, spiritual, intellectual, emotional, social and physical development of each child is nurtured and developed.
The truth about Catholic schools
- We welcome students of all religious and cultural backgrounds. Catholic education is open to all who seek it.
- We have high academic standards – not all our time is spent on Religious Education.
- We believe in science and accept the theory of evolution. Our faith and science co-exist so students get a full picture of the world around us.
- Our schools have evolved a lot over the last few decades. We work to give our students the best chance to succeed in a modern world.
- Students, staff and families at our school thrive by being calm, confident, curious, caring and creative.
- Collegial planning supports evidence-based practice and targeted teaching, including appropriate learning adjustments, enabling every child to learn.
- Extreme religious beliefs have no place in our school. Rather, we encourage students to question and make sense of the world around them.
- Our fees are very affordable and fee concessions are available to families experiencing hardship.